24.5.07

the Cuppycake song

You're my Honeybunch, Sugarplum, Pumpy-umpy-umpkin, you're my Sweety pie
You're my Cuppycake, Gumdrop, Snoogums, Boogums, you're the Apple of my eye
and I love you so and I want you to know that I'll always be wight here
and I love to sing sweet songs to you because you ah so dear!
____________________________________________________________________

The newspaper the cafeteria had was of two days ago but i had it up to my nose, pretending to read it. out of the corner of my eye, i see him make faces at the kid at the next table. tsk, typical. i thought to myself. he noticed the slight smirk i made and looked to see if i was watching him. i raised the newspaper high enough for it to cover my whole face and the ear-to-ear-grin i had on. i knew he didn't like being watched while he ate. i went on reading my paper, sneaking an occasional glance in his direction.

he had his back to the street. across, was a light post that dimmed every time a car went past... and each time, his features were darkened with shadows; their intensity, illuminated. whether or not he had something on his mind, i can't tell. for probably the first time, i couldn't tell. all done, he said. oh... let's go. i said in what was almost a question.

i'm tired, he offered as we crossed the street. with my eyes on the road, i attempted a reply, uh-huh. that was all i could muster with my mind overtaken by what was about to happen. the night, our night, was about to come to an end and tomorrow, he, the boy I was side by side with right now, will be gone. I've come to terms with reality, which was about to catch up with my fantasies of a time without end with him.

we had to walk a block more and i was eager to make the best out of it. i watched his hands move in gestures in the still night air that hung before us; watched his lips move in what seemed like a recount of something he did. I couldn't really be sure. I was too busy memorizing each, every detail about the way he looked, about him.

we got to the corner way before i expected. he grabbed my hand and turned towards me. looking up to me, thank you, he said. i wrapped my arms around his small body and buried my face into his flimsy shoulder, making a memory of how he smelled like. eeew... he said after having noticed that I was sniffing his shirt. he wriggled his way out of my clutch. i laughed at his child-like ways. I'll miss that the most, I thought to myself. he got into the car... I got into the driver's seat and drove him home. before letting him out, I glanced at him sleeping in his seat. I love you, I whispered.

He starts pre-school tomorrow.


******************************************

No comments: